tax question

Property Investment Company

Tax Question

If the owner of a property investment company has their shares transferred to a discretionary trust can a claim for hold-over relief be made?

Tax Answer

Shares transferred into a discretionary trust are immediately chargeable to IHT (not a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET)) so a claim can be made for hold-over relief under TCGA 1992 S260, even if the transfer is covered by the IHT nil rate band. See HMRC HS295 and the claim form at

Vantage Fee Protect Customer Testimonials

Having changed over to Vantage a couple of years ago we have been very satisfied with the service. Especially the claims handling and technical advice lines for both our firm and insured clients on employment and business legal matters. The webshop Vantage offer allows our clients to join and pay electronically. This positively impacts our bottom line and makes things simple and efficient for our clients.
Linda Giles Chartered Accountant

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Contact a member of our team today.

Who we partner with